Monday, August 10, 2015

Falling Asleep in the Sunshine


 
This morning I was encouraged to listen to a message by Alistair Begg regarding the place of trials and suffering in the life of a Christian.  It was one I have heard before but it was good to listen again, to help keep this life in an eternal perspective.  As we know from Paul's letter to the Corinthians, Paul was given a 'thorn in his flesh' which God refused to remove, although Paul begged Him three times.  We are told that this was to keep Paul from becoming conceited, and cause God's power to become more evident through Paul's weakness.  Sometimes, this answer does not feel like enough for the suffering believer.  We are often more concerned with our own comfort and well-being than the glory of God.  Unfortunately, as Alistair Begg pointed out, we are prone to fall asleep in the sunshine but are alert and awake when buffeted by the storms of life. Apparently many of us need hardship to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and admit our reliance on God for absolutely every aspect of our lives.  

Here is a link to the sermon if you are interested:

 

 Tyson & I fishing

  
I ASKED THE LORD
 
I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith, and love, and every grace;
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek, more earnestly, His face.
 
‘Twas He who taught me thus to pray,
And He, I trust, has answered prayer!
But it has been in such a way,
As almost drove me to despair.
 
I hoped that in some favored hour,
At once He’d answer my request;
And by His love’s constraining pow’r,
Subdue my sins, and give me rest.
 
Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart;
And let the angry pow’rs of hell
Assault my soul in every part.
 
Yea more, with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe;
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.
 
Lord, why is this, I trembling cried,
Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death?
“‘Tis in this way, the Lord replied,
I answer prayer for grace and faith.
 
These inward trials I employ,
From self, and pride, to set thee free;
And break thy schemes of earthly joy,
That thou may’st find thy all in Me.”
- John Newton

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roze
    So thankful for your wonderful progress. And so thankful for this post. I listened to this encouraging message by Alistair Begg and gained some much needed perspective in my own life. Continuing thoughts and prayers for you and your family. And of course so much love and prayer for Heidi and Jeremy.
    Christine (Albany)

    ReplyDelete